Monday, 9 February 2015

On Wednesday morning, the National Post received this letter to the editor after Barbara Kay's article.

For additional accurate information on the public safety Danger of Pit Bull Type Dogs visit:

http://www.dogsbite.org/

http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/

http://www.animals24-7.org/category/dogs-cats/dogs/
*************************************************************************
On Wednesday morning, the National Post received this letter to the editor after Barbara Kay's article.

At the writer’s request, we are withholding their name for the reason stated below.

I am a regular reader of the National Post and Barbara Kay’s articles. Please withhold my personal information, as my workplace (a hospital) is a bit Orwellian and communicating with the media is frowned upon, and even punishable.

The article today on pit bulls is absolutely 100% correct, and your invoking the opinion of emergency physicians’ opinions on the matter is also correct. I am such an emergency physician, having practiced full-time in ERs of eastern Toronto for some 17 years.

I have seen many many dog bites over the course of 5-6 weekly ER shifts during the time. I have seen no deaths. I have seen 3 very severe mauling's, and all were committed by pit bulls. One was a man mauled by a pit bull on the loose at 4 AM, and his face resembled hamburger.

Another was a 9-year-old immigrant child whose family was (incredibly) given a pit bull by the Humane Society as a family pet; her shredded legs needed hours of surgery.

All the other dog bite injuries I have seen have paled in comparison to those from pit bulls, though to be fair I have not seen a lot of injuries from huskies. And, yes, I ask every patient with a dog bite about the breed that bit them. And, yes, I remember very well all the bad ones.

As well, I do not recall any pit bull bite that was in any way minor or incidental, for example from a bit of confusion over a chew toy or that sort of thing where there is a little nip.

You may get a letter from some misguided or misinformed or willfully disagreeable (for whatever reason) ER doc saying pit bulls aren’t so bad at all. I’m writing to you now to support your article, and allow you to disagree with any ridiculous support for pit bulls coming from such an ER physician.