Sunday, 6 September 2015

REAL Service Dogs That Were Attacked By Pit Bulls

REAL Service Dogs That Were Attacked By Pit Bulls

KGW talked to two people riding the train Wednesday night around 6:30 p.m. One passenger said four dogs, all with different owners, boarded about the same time at Northwest 21st Avenue and Lovejoy Street. A couple minutes later, a larger dog, which appeared to be a pit bull mix, attacked a smaller dog that looked to be less than 10 pounds.

“There was a small dog on the ground and a pit bull came in, and I was holding my dog up and the pit bull attacked the small dog and latched on to his head,” said passenger Joe Garside.

KGW reached out to Portland Streetcar and is still waiting for a response. The agency’s website states that only service dogs are allowed on trains. A witness KGW talked with said the dog that died appeared to be wearing some sort of service dog designation, but animal control officers said it was not a licensed service animal.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2014/09/25/dog-fight-portland-streetcar-pit-bull-mix/16196975/

VANCOUVER — Yuri was an assistance dog who helped a woman with autism navigate her daily life, a therapy animal who comforted palliative care patients and an integral part of his Vancouver family.

That all ended Saturday afternoon when the miniature pinscher was eviscerated by a pit bull in what Yuri’s owner describes as an unprovoked attack.

Mia Johnson and her daughter were walking Yuri and a second dog on-leash when they encountered another dog owner at 10th Avenue and Dunbar Street. The other woman was walking a Staffordshire bull terrier, one of the breeds commonly referred to as pit bulls.

“The dog was straining on its leash and it went right for our dog,” Johnson said.

“I saw it had a muzzle on but everything happened so fast. The muzzle came off and it went after one of our dogs.”

The bigger dog’s jaws locked onto Yuri. People nearby who witnessed the sudden attack ran over and began hitting the pit bull, poking its eyes and pulling on its ears, but it wouldn’t let go.

By the time it finally loosened its grip, Yuri was barely alive.

“My dog was disembowelled. I picked him up and everything inside him was just in my hands,” Johnson said.

“(My daughter) was screaming. She was trying to go after the lady and calling her a murderer. Everything was just out of control.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10347200

A visually impaired Calgarian is recovering from an attack by an unleashed pit bull that injured both him and his guide dog.

It happened last Wednesday as Trevor Fitzhenry was walking his dog, Neptune, in Forest Lawn.

“He had his jaws right on his neck, on Neptune’s neck,” said Fitzhenry. “I was thinking, ‘I am going to lose my dog. My dog is going to die here on me.’”

Fitzhenry couldn’t actually see the attack; he has been blind for 15 years.

“It’s just crazy because Neptune is my lifeline, he’s my eyes,” he told Global News. “I was just horrified seeing another dog attack your seeing-eye dog; it was just horrifying.”

The dogs were eventually separated, but not before Neptune was bitten on the face and paws. Fitzhenry required stitches to his hand.

“I was horrified, I was screaming. I was yelling for someone to come help separate these two dogs and it just wasn’t working.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1651641/it-was-scary-pure-scary-blind-calgarian-and-his-guide-dog-attacked-by-unleashed-dog/